Thomas Nielsen, MD
I love this community. My wife, Dr. Bohn and I have been here treating Bloomington patients since 1987. Raising our daughter here has given us an opportunity to become involved in multiple aspects and activities that the community offers. A few examples would include the schools (Band program, athletic programs, chess club), libraries, parks and recreational activities, the children’s museum, Miller Park Zoo and many more.
I decided after 27 years in the Emergency Department that although emergency medicine was very challenging and rewarding, I was looking to transition my medical career into a field of medicine where I could have an ongoing relationship with my patients,” Dr. Nielsen says. This specialty allows me to interact even more with my patients. I feel very passionate about educating the public and my peers regarding vein disease. Any time you would like to ask me a question, please feel free!
I love volunteering and supporting the multiple charities in the community. My hobbies include traveling, flying (with Crosswinds Flying Club), boating and interacting with other members of the local business community.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Medicine, Southern IL University School of Medicine
- Residency: Southern IL University School of Medicine – Family Medicine
- Certified by the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine
- Registered Vascular Technician (RVT)
- Registered Phlebology Sonographer (RPhS)
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Geriatrics